Saturday, October 3, 2009

Planning for a Marathon

My alarm went off for the first time in a month this morning, I've really gotten used to sleeping in until 8am every morning and waking up on my own. I quickly got up and got all my cold Under Armour gear on and ate a quick simple breakfast with cereal, bananas, granola bar and peanut butter. I also fueled up with some sugar free red bull. I always frink one before a road race and in my mind it helps:



Since the race was in town we didn't leave the house until 10 minutes before it started. I ran a little to warm up because it was 42 degrees here this morning. I then got my number and t-shirt and lined up. It was a small race, lots of college kids because it was for their homecoming.

When we started I hit go on my iPod and it was the first time I ever brought my iPod to a race to help me keep my pace up to hopefull PR. The route was great and there were a lot of college wrestlers running this that were keeping a 6:30/7:00 mile pace and I tried to keep up with them as much as possible. When I realized how close we were to the end I looked down at my iPod and it said 20:30 minutes I booked it and ended up PRing the he!! out of this race. I got 21:17 and my normal is 23:30 about. I can't believe how great I did for not really training and slacking on the nutrition lately, something in the Iowa air?
Anyways I got 1st place and and won 5lbs. of gummy worms, my favorite! Also had a post-race banana and granola bar.

An older lady (maybe 30) came up to me right after the race and said good job and asked my time and I told her I shaved 2 minutes from all previous 5k's. She asked if I did marathons too and I told her I want to but haven't made it that far yet. She said I would do great at marathons given my current running PR and training I've been doing lately.
After that conversation it got me thinking about why I haven't gone after marathons yet, I mean I've been running 7 years, my moms ran at least 8 marathons, I've done about 20-30 5k's and10k's and I'm good. A lot of others around me including some other wonderful blog ladies are doing marathons and completing their goals like that. So I'm thinking about signing up for a marathon this coming June because I need to stop fearing marathons and know that I'm fully capable of this great feat. The one I'll be doing is Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN,it's a beautiful course. Sign up isn't until January and it's a first come, first serve basis and I know getting a hotel can be hard, so I'm crossing my fingers and praying to get in. Even though it's almost 9 months to go I still want to start training and preparing now because I want to make sure I'm healthy enough to do it.

If you have any tips or advice on planning I would love to hear it!

Onto after race fuel I had some Amazing Grass from the package I won from Lynn and Christy over at the Actor's Diet. It was great for some post-race energy and thanks for the win girls!


After stretching out the hammies and quads I had some Aged White Cheddar Chips, amazing flavor!

I'm off to work again for day 2 of day 6 straight!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am running my 3rd Boston and 4th marathon this April. I am nowhere near as fast as you, but have lots of training experience and would be happy to answer any questions! Would love to follow you as you train it is so motivating to read about other runners!

homecookedem said...

WOW! Congratulations on winning 1st place and setting a new PR!! You are a rockstar!! :)

I really want to run a marathon. My original goal (before my knee problems) was to run one when I turned 26. Well, I'm almost halfway through being 26 and I don't think any marathons are in my near future with these rusty knees. I still have a sliver of hope that maybe, somehow it's still possible!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! 5lbs of gummy worms? That's so cool! I might have to join a race just for that free swag! lol!

And CONGRATS on the PR, my dear!I'll bet you're bursting with pride right now...go pamper yourself for the amazing work you've done!

p.s. I just read your last comment...if you ever need to talk or whatever, please email me.

Anonymous said...

Wow! 5lbs of gummy worms? That's so cool! I might have to join a race just for that free swag! lol!

And CONGRATS on the PR, my dear!I'll bet you're bursting with pride right now...go pamper yourself for the amazing work you've done!

p.s. I just read your last comment...if you ever need to talk or whatever, please email me.

Erica said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Congrats on the PR! That is so exciting. Hope work treats you well

april said...

That breakfast looks great! Congrats on your race.. 1st place that's awesome!!

lynn said...

glad the amazing grass arrived, safe and sound!

Paige@ Running Around Normal said...

GREAT job! What a wonderful time! Congrats :) You should definitely go for a marathon.

Jocelyn said...

congratz girl..wow Ican't believe your time! So amazing!
You will ACE that marathon. If you start preparing now...no worries! :)

Sarah said...

Way to go on your PR! That's exciting!